Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sleeping in the Tipi

In my 20s, I pitched a tent in campgrounds. In the mornings, I'd climb out of the tent and into the damp outdoors, and wave to my temporary neighbors. In my 30s, my husband and I gave up camping. At night, we fell asleep, listening to crickets outside our farmhouse window. In the mornings, I looked out onto hayfields and sometimes saw the deer or rabbit in the early morning dawn. Our nearest neighbors are a quarter-mile away. Could we get closer to nature? In my 40s, a friend invited me to spend the night in a tipi pitched in the middle of a 10-acre horse pasture. She built a fire inside the tipi and I fell asleep watching the logs burn and listening to the horses outside pull and munch grass.

1 comment:

  1. It was a good night wasn't it? Since you were here my field has been mowed and baled. But we left a strip of the mature weedy grasses for the wildlife to hide. Butterflies are still plentiful and I am very happy! :)

    ReplyDelete