Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It Wasn't a Puddle

Caeli spotted the Canada geese before we reached the pond. One floated on the water, another sat on the far shore. The Border collie considered her options. With a burst, she sprinted full speed around the pond toward the geese. Upon seeing her coming, the one on shore rose and sped toward the water. Caeli pursued them onto the water, for one stride. When she splashed into the pond, she turned back, lay down and stared at the geese. Or, at least, that's what I thought she was doing. When I reached her, I called her to me, and we continued around the pond. When we reached the cattails, she executed Plan B. I'm sure she reasoned the cattails were in ankle deep water. She was three strides in when she discovered differently. She couldn't touch the mucky bottom and looked at me. I looked at her. Resigned, she came back to shore. Tonight, I'm sure she's plotting Plan C.

No comments:

Post a Comment