Thursday, December 22, 2011

It Finally Felt Like Christmas

At twilight, as happens often in the in the darkest days of December, I found myself in the barn doing evening chores.

Keeping me company were hungry horses, weary sheep, dogs, cats, a watchful llama and a barn radio that played tinny tunes.

Come they told me, pa rum pum pum pum

The falling rain softly accompanied the song.

A new born King to see, pa rum pum pum pum

Outside, smoke from the bonfire hung low to the ground.

Our finest gifts we bring, pa rum pum pum pum

Inside the barn, I swept out the horse stalls.
 
To lay before the King, pa rum pum pum pum,

rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

The two Haflingers, wet and muddy from days of rain, hung their heads over the stall doors, waiting for their evening hay.

So to honor Him, pa rum pum pum pum,

When we come.

I carried flakes of hay, green and holding the lingering scent of summer, to the horse stalls.

Little Baby, pa rum pum pum pum

I am a poor boy too, pa rum pum pum pum

The horses nickered their approval as I dropped the hay into the stalls and let them in for their evening meal.

I have no gift to bring, pa rum pum pum pum

That's fit to give the King, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,

Next, I turned to the sheep and llama. Heavy rains and mud have kept them confined to the barn area for the past several days.

Shall I play for you, pa rum pum pum pum,

On my drum?


The sheep and I kept rhythm with puffs of air.

Mary nodded, pa rum pum pum pum

The ox and lamb kept time, pa rum pum pum pum

The temperature dropped. I wished I'd worn gloves, but the barn work kept me warm.

I played my drum for Him, pa rum pum pum pum

I played my best for Him, pa rum pum pum pum,
rum pum pum pum, rum pum pum pum,


The Border collies dug through the hay, searching for morsels, and possibly a mouse? The horses, sheep and llama chewed hay.

Then He smiled at me, pa rum pum pum pum

Me and my drum.

I turned out the barn lights, turned off the radio, and stepped into the December darkness.

("The Little Drummer Boy" - words and music by Katherine K. Davis, Henry Onorati, and Harry Simeone.)

1 comment:

  1. Aaah, yes, one of my favorite songs, I would love to visit your critters in the barn.

    ReplyDelete