Monday, June 3, 2013

The New Crop in the Hay Field

I spotted it before the dogs.

The tan creature stood in northeast corner about fifteen yards from the hay field's fence row.

From more than one hundred yards away and in the fading light, it was difficult to determine its size. A fox maybe?

I turned the dogs to to the southwest corner of the hay field. Walking backwards, I watched the tan figure.

It seemed too light-colored for a fox. A dog, maybe?

Oblivious to the intruder, my dogs chased each other and hunted for mice.

The critter didn't seem to move. It was definitely too large for a cat, but too small for a deer. The right color though.

After reaching the southwest corner of the field, I turned the dogs around and backtracked toward home.

The critter appeared lighter-colored. Had it turned too?

Curiosity got the better of me.

I approached.

When about thirty yards away, the dogs noticed it.

Hackles went up.

I put them in downs.

The critter didn't move.

As I approached, I saw why.

Some tall blades of grass were holding the Mylar balloon in place.

I picked it up and brought it home where I deposited it next to the three blue Mylar balloons I'd also found in the hay field this weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment