Thursday, October 25, 2018

Red Orbs in October

Weeds took over the garden in late July.

Blame it on the rain, the heat, too much dog training, too much vacationing, not enough will.

In late August and September, I'd wade into the weed patch and search for a cucumber, a zucchini, a pepper, a tomato--whatever could grow among the weeds.

That's the way it is some years, and I'm okay with that.

Right before the frosts and freezes came, I picked peppers as they were near the garden gate and still somewhat accessible.

The tomatoes I let fall victim to the frost.

But gardens must be cleaned, and before I could turn the chickens or sheep into the garden, I had to rid it of the wire tomato cages.

So, in the afternoon sun and cool breezes of late October, I waded into the garden and pulled up the tomato plants.

Imagine my surprise when I found a perfect red orb, undamaged by the freeze or hungry insects.

After wiping it off with my sweatshirt, I took a bite.

It was firm and juicy and tasted of summer.

Apparently the weeds had protected it from the freezing winds and frosts. The weeds had protected others too. After a search, I discovered six more red treasures.





No comments:

Post a Comment