Saturday, January 26, 2019

Does Anyone Wash a Carhartt?

My friend leaves her Carhartts to the garage. Mine stay in the mud room, far from any coat or jacket that ever leaves the farm.


I bought my Carhartt coat years ago during an after-Christmas sale. Had I known how long it would last, or how much I'd like it, I would never have settled for pink.

But the pink Carhartt became my go-to coat for shoveling manure, moving hay, working dogs, carrying wood, cleaning fence rows and birthing lambs. It's not bulky, but provides warmth, breaks the wind and, if I'm not outside for too long and it's not raining too hard, is somewhat water resistant.

Several years old now, it wears its history well.


The fresh pink marks are from the livestock spray paint can that I shoved into my pocket as I grabbed for inspection. I heard the squirts of paint as I was wrapped my arm around the animal, but opted to hold onto the ewe rather than save my jacket.



Many parts of the jacket, especially the sleeves, are now frayed from everyday wear.


The pocket, though, had help from a hard-working Border collie who smelled, and freed, treats.

The coat could definitely use a bath, but I really don't want to put it in our washing machine. And, would a washed coat repel the wind and rain as well?

I'll give it another year, or two, or three without a bath. Or, if I want to hasten its demise, I could always put more dog treats in the pockets.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I wash mine a few times a season. I’ve had current one three years now.

    ReplyDelete