Thursday, September 9, 2010

Open Windows

Our house has 25 windows. I know this because during the summer months, I'm opening and closing them twice a day. We don't have central air conditioning, so we open the windows at night to cool the house. In the mornings, I close the windows and close the shades to keep the sun and outside warm air from heating the house. In the spring and fall, my routine is opposite. I open the windows during the day to warm the house, and close them at night to keep the inside temperatures from falling into the 50s. But, for a few weeks, in late spring and early fall, we enjoy open windows, day and night. We are reveling in 70-degree days and 50-degree nights. During the days, warm breezes sweep through the house and carry the scents of harvest. On some nights, the cool airs bring the smells of campfires and burning leaves. I welcome it all.

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on this! Amazing the things that are missed when the windows are closed.

    ReplyDelete