Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Life without Dogs

It's "I gotta go close in the chickens for the night" instead of "Let's go do the evening chores," and "I should check the pastures" instead of "Let's go exploring." We returned from vacation late Saturday night and couldn't pick up the two Border collies at the kennel until Monday morning. So, we had a day without dogs, a day when the farm was quiet and lonely. Chores went quickly though. I fed and watered the chickens and sheep without having to pause to watch the dogs run hot laps around the house and play tug with the Frisbee. I didn't have to remind Caeli to stop harassing the ram and the rooster, to get out of the garden. The wildlife enjoyed the respite from dogs. Bunnies munched brazenly in the yard. I found raccoon scat while mowing. I imagine the bunnies and coons will be moving on now. Most don't like the daily herding or harassment of dogs. I, though, like the dogs tagging along, the excitement about going out to do the chores, to take a walk, to work in the garden. I smile as I listen to the eight dog feet and four cat paws padding after me as I go to my office to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment