Wednesday, July 28, 2010

The morning groom

"I haven't ridden this month," I confess to a horsey friend. Heat and biting insects make riding unenjoyable. "Lily seems quite content with her daily grooming," I say. My friend looks at me. "You groom her every day?" Now that she's an only, I do. When horses are together, they groom each other. They'll nibble and scratch on each other's withers and backs. Lily has to rely on me for her morning grooming. As I curry her neck, she stretches out her neck and her lips quiver. On those muggy, hot days, she'll sometimes return the favor and scratch my back and shoulders. After a good brushing, I spray on coat conditioner and fly repellent and put on her face mask. If she had a buddy, he'd help keep the flies at bay. "I'm looking for a friend for you," I promise her every morning. I give her a treat and going on with my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment