Saturday, October 23, 2010

Horse Shopping 202: First Impressions

The mare was running around the round pen, bucking and calling to her pasture mate. I wasn't impressed. My friend and I had driven 2.5-hours to see this horse who had sounded promising over the phone. She was trained to ride and drive, had show experience, great bloodlines and conformation. I'd seen a few photos of her, but no video. While the horse running around the round pen was well put together and a great mover, I wasn't sure I wanted to climb on top of her and give her a spin. I was no longer a teen-ager, and, over the years, I've learned that falls hurt more than they used to. They also can break bones. When her rider arrived at the barn, she led the mare from the round pen, put her in cross ties and tacked her up. The mare began settling. The rider swung into the saddle, and the mare went to work. The horse was responsive and obedient and a nice mover. I went to my car and retrieved my saddle.

1 comment: