Friday, October 15, 2010

Inspection Day

Today is USDA inspection day.
Because our sheep are enrolled in a voluntary scrapies inspection program, the USDA vet visits our farm annually to check our records and the health of the flock. This means each animal is caught and each ear tag is verified.
This morning, I brought all of the sheep in from pastures and put them into stalls so that the process will go faster.
First, I brought the Five Virgins (the five yearling ewes I've used for dog herding practice) in from the pasture.
Then I had to catch the llama that stays with the the main flock. Because he is a guard animal, he must be removed from the flock before we handle the sheep. I don't want him kicking at or spitting on me when I'm trying to catch sheep.
Llambert the Llama is not fond of being caught. Lucky for me, he is fond of eating and usually eats inside with several lambs. Once confined to a stall, he is easier to catch and halter.
After moving him to a stall, I next worked on the bringing the main flock into the barn. With Caeli, the Border collie, helping, we accomplished that task in a minute or two.
The horses are giving me dirty looks, as they aren't used to having that many sheep in the barn at this time of year.
Pictured are several of the ewes and lambs -- who insist on crowding into one stall instead of spreading out into two stalls.

No comments:

Post a Comment