Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Horse Shopping 301: The Trial Period

We brought the mare home for a trial period in September. During my two test rides, I liked her gaits, her training, her conformation, her temperament. But the true test would come when I brought her home. How would she could along with Lily? Were her ground manners as good as they seemed? Both of these could be deal-breakers. While I like to think that I'll spend every day riding, I know that much of my interactions with horses is on the ground -- there is feeding, grooming, regular caretaking to do. A horse that could live harmoniously with the herd and with me was a must. Lily was an easy sell. Within hours, she was hanging her head over the new horse's stall door and rubbing her withers. I, too, was an easy sell. The mare respected my space and stood quietly when tied. The added bonus: She came when called. And often, she threw in a nicker. Now, a horse that treats its human as a rock star is hard to resist.

1 comment: