Sunday, March 20, 2011

Garden Planting: First Seeds

As I dropped pea and spinach seeds into the cool, damp earth on Saturday, I thought of how I'd welcome the first taste of homegrown garden greens in late spring. But I'm sure I'll never greet them with the anticipation my ancestors did a century ago. By the time the greens and peas were ready for harvest, they would have gone months without fresh green vegetables.

What were their thoughts as they dropped the seeds into the earth, covered and watered them, and waited? Did they approach the task with joy, anticipation, hope or worry?

1 comment:

  1. When I worked at Colonial Williamsburg one of the 18th century journal entries we would read for kids was a lady who wrote how much she was looking forward to the peas on the table come spring. Seasonality is somewhat lost these days. This woman was of a well-to-do family so I can only imagine, as you say, that poorer families might have been more anxious for healthy yield.

    ReplyDelete