Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Weeding the Plantless Garden

As I knelt among the thistles and weeds this weekend, I thought how silly it was that I was weeding a garden that had so few plants. It's been too wet to do much gardening this spring.

A corner of the garden dried enough so that I could stick onion sets in the ground. I have a few rows of lettuce, spinach and beets popping through the soil.

The potatoes await planting. I haven't prepared the sweet potato rows. The ground is still too wet to be worked.

Tomato, pepper and squash plants are usually sitting on the back porch awaiting Mothers' Day plantings. This year, I haven't even thought about buying them yet.

Gardening and farming teach patience and flexibility. I'm getting lessons in those by the bucketloads this spring as the rain keeps falling.

1 comment:

  1. I am so feeling your pain! I havent seen a plant yet this year! I am trying to amend the soil, which is taking much effort and even more time! One weed control idea I read is weeding your ground twice through before planting anything and that will reduce the weeds all summer, so maybe you are onto something after all, weeding the plantless ground! :)

    ReplyDelete