Sunday, June 26, 2011

Killer Thistles

These thistle plants put the Canadian thistles to shame.

Spray a little molasses water on the Canadian thistle and the sheep will eat them.

These thistles will puncture skin.

Sheep avoid them. So do I.

Last year, we had three of them in our pastures. This year, I counted ten.

A month ago, I mowed them to the ground. They laughed and came back, full and hardy.

The sheep, chickens and horses graze these pastures, so chemical control is out.

I try a mixture of dish detergent, white vinegar and water.

Now, they look like this.

But I doubt that's the end of it. I will walk the pastures weekly this summer and attacking the killer thistles, and expect to continue the battle for years to come.

2 comments:

  1. Gee, Beth have you tried salt water? I managed to kill some stuff by throwing salt water from an ice cream maker on it. I'm glad to know these guys aren't "ordinary" thistles. I was beginning to feel like a wimp for not being able to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wouldn't it be nice if our fruits and vegetables grew so well without any work?!

    ReplyDelete