Sunday, March 2, 2014

On Lions and Lambs

When I planned for mid-March lambing, I was thinking hints of spring, not spring snowstorms.

But that is what I'm getting. So on the first day of March, the husband and I enjoyed the 40 degrees and sun as we moved more hay into the sheep barn. Then, I inventoried my lambing supplies, and we vaccinated the sheep.

And, as I dug my fingers into their hair and did a hands-on inspection, I discovered that the sheep have become masters of baaing pitifully and sucking in their guts. Underneath all of that hair, they're surviving the unusually cold winter just fine.

This morning, I awoke to snow-covered ground and forecasts of more snow. As I pondered whether March came in like a lion or a lamb, I realized that it doesn't matter. In a few weeks lambs will arrive, no matter the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment