Sunday, June 14, 2015

Finding Beauty in Hot & Soggy

We are caught in that weather pattern where hot, humid weather attracts thunderstorms--and then more heat and humidity, and then more thunderstorms.


It's too wet to mow and weed. So instead of sulking, which I've done, I captured some images from mid-June.


The first crop of strawberries is winding down.


The red raspberries are preparing to take over. Shhhh... don't tell the birds.


And, while mowing a bit of pasture--before another pop-up storm--I found a few wild raspberries and ate them.


In the garden, the weeds are growing, as is the dill.


As is the radish cover crop. Last week I said enough with planting and seeded the remaining garden space in cover crop. It's my first attempt at this, so we'll see how it goes.


It's my first attempt at growing popcorn, too.


I've grown garlic before--but had never eaten the scapes. I sauteed them in olive oil and butter, added some more fresh herbs and tossed it with linguine. It was so tasty, I might have to plant my garden in garlic next year.


Meanwhile, in the chicken yard, the chicks continue to capture my attention. The chicks are almost four weeks old. Buckeyes are a slow-maturing breed--but very hardy and great foragers.


The lambs, especially the Katahdin-Dorper crosses, are growing fast. These two aren't quite 3 months old.


In the flowerbed, the first daylily of the season bloomed today.


And the lilies are so beautiful, I want to bring them inside.


But I won't. Louise the cat ate the lilies last year.


My favorites, though, may be the alliums--wild, carefree and a peaceful blue.



2 comments:

  1. radishes as a cover crop??? really, or pulling our leg(s)??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really--they grow rapidly, have a long tap root and block out the weeds. Over winter they decompose, leaving the ground well aerated and ready to work. These aren't the red radishes you buy in the store. They're white, with a really long tap root.

    ReplyDelete