Monday, April 20, 2020

Why Should the Birds have All the Fun?


It's that time of year when fields burst into yellow dandelion blooms and balls of fluffy sheep hair. The sheep are in full shed and rubbing against fences.

Birds are swooping down and gathering bits of white, tan, red and black fiber for their nests.

This year, I gathered some for myself and used the sheep hair for container gardening.

I grow herbs in pots near the back porch. While big pots of herbs look impressive, they can be back-breaking to move.

When foam packing peanuts were used in packaging, my mother reused them at the bottom of pots. They were lighter than soil and allowed for drainage.

This year, after seeing a posting on Facebook, I decided to give sheep hair fiber a try.


I put it in the bottom of the pots and then poured potting soil on top.


Last night, frost was predicted. As I was carrying the pots inside, I thought, "Coats! I should have felted the plants some coats."


Photo of hair sheep in various stages of shedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment