Saturday, January 2, 2010

Dog at Large

I saw the dog on Christmas Day. He was running east down the road. At a quarter mile away, I could not tell his breed – only that he was big and black or dark brown. I saw him again a few days later. I, along with the Border collies, were returning from a afternoon walk. Again the dog was a quarter mile away, but this time he was romping through our yard. My stomach clenched. When you have free-range chickens and sheep, the last thing you want to see if a strange dog in the area. By the time we reached the farmhouse, the dog was gone, and I was relieved to see that no blood stained the snow. But the next day, when I was doing afternoon chores, I heard gunshots, and again saw the dog running eastward down the road. Did the dog's owner know the dog was running at large, subject to being chased by other dogs, to being shot at? Did they care?

No comments:

Post a Comment