Saturday, January 30, 2010

Raising Dewey

I'd like to think that I learn from past experiences. Fifteen years ago, when my first housecat, Blotto, was a kitten, I let him sleep on my lap during mealtimes and in the crook of my arm at night. How was I to know he'd grow into a 17-pound cat? When he reached adulthood, his habits were set. I slid my chair back to accommodate his bulk in my lap at dinnertime. At night, when he took up a good chunk of the bed, I considered getting a king bed rather than booting him out. Now, I'm raising Dewey. The four-month-old kitten sleeps on my lap when I work at the computer, when I talk on the phone. At night, I lift the covers and let him sleep in the crook of my arm. And I think, if he turns into a Blotto-kitty, that may not be so bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment