Thursday, May 6, 2010

Before the Vet Visit

When we just had horses, preparing for the vet visit was easy. I caught the horses, groomed them and put them in stalls. Catching the horses usually involved calling them and slipping a halter over their head. Neither the sheep nor llama are that well-trained. For this visit, I must catch the llama and put him in a stall. Then, I must catch the three three-week old ram lambs that are with the flock of sheep. I know three things about the llama: he doesn't want to be caught; he kicks; he spits. His job is to guard the sheep. In his mind, both the Border collie and I are predators. My first task is to separate him from the sheep. I count on the llama lagging behind when I move the sheep from the pasture. Once the sheep are through a pasture gate, I shut the gate. Now I have the llama in one pasture and the sheep in another. The sheep naturally meander toward the barn. Once I have them in the paddock, the fun begins. I want to drive the sheep into a stall in the barn. Sheep are easier to sort with they are in a smaller area with solid walls. If this were fall, with older sheep, this would be simple. With Caeli, my Border collie, nearby, we'd herd the animals inside. The lambs and ewes with lambs make the job difficult. There are nine ewes and ten lambs in the flock. I must catch the three ram lambs. Caeli stares at the sheep. Rather than being afraid of the dog, the lambs are curious and want to check her out. The dog's eyes cross when the oldest ram lamb walks up to her and sniffs her nose. I stomp and he backs off. The sheep flock together in a corner outside the barn. The dog and I move closer and wait. We want to apply just enough pressure so they walk into the barn rather than bolt and scatter. Godiva, the mother of two lambs, gets irritated and walks toward Caeli and stomps. Caeli continues to stare. The ewe backs off. We wait. I can be patient. Caeli can stare all day. Sensing this, the ewes and lambs move into the barn, and I shut the door behind them. Caeli's work is done. Now, I must sort the lambs. The stall is a double stall with a door between the two stalls. I am delighted when a ewe and four lambs walk into the second stall. I shut the door. Now, I'm in an eight by eight-foot area, and the lambs are in easy reach. I catch the three ram lambs and carry them, one at a time, to another stall. The sheep sorting is done. Now, I must turn my attention toward catching the llama.

1 comment: