Sunday, May 2, 2010

Spring Pasture

When I look out over the pastures, I see a buffet table.
The sheep and horse's diet consists of grass -- a catchall term for clover, dandelion greens, timothy, bluegrass, fescue, and what else grows in the pastures.
These animals don't eat grain. No corn, no oats, no soybeans for them. A good pasture is enough to make them fat.
So, I spend time walking the pastures, ensuring that they are in good condition. When I look down, I want to see a pasture salad -- a mixture of grasses and legumes, like clover. In other words, no iceburg lettuce wedge for them.
In the photo is a rooster on the spring pasture. The chickens eat a combination of grain, bugs and grass. This morning, they were especially enjoying the tender clover leaves.

2 comments:

  1. Dandelions, clover, fescue, bluegrass--you're talking about my lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ours too! It's a great big horse salad!

    ReplyDelete