Thursday, May 13, 2010

It Depends

I'm heading off for my ultimate chick weekend -- watching the Bluegrass Classic Stockdog Trial and shopping for horses.
My husband offered to handle critter care when I'm gone.
In the winter and summer months, critter care is pretty basic. Give them hay or let them out to pasture.
During the spring months, it's often weather dependent. Some of our pastures have more clover than others. During rainy weather, I try to limit grazing on the heavy clover pastures, and balance their diets with some hay. Over time, it comes intuitively to me. But when I try to write it down, my critter care lists has lots of asteriks and other notes on it.
When reviewing it last night, my husband just looked at me.
"If you don't want to deal with it, close them in the pastures close to the barn and give them hay," I say. "It's only for a few days."
And yet, I think he still prefers the chore list to horse shopping.
(The photo is of Lily, my mare who is shares in my excitement about horse shopping).

2 comments:

  1. Oh Beth, I understand the critter list. It can be long and a little overwhelming to the one being left. It always works out and you never really know if the list didn't fall in a bucket of water or get blown away by the wind (you seem to have more wind than we do). The critters survive and you get to have a wonderful weekend! Can't wait to hear about horse shopping! Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK, I have a litte sympathy for Randy. I've been left with these detailed lists by family and neighbors. "Molly likes to be scratched with her feeding cup behind the ears, but not before noon." I've had children who were less particular. Good luck, Randy!

    Happy shopping, Beth.

    ReplyDelete