Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Power of Popsicle Sticks and Duct Tape


Lambs make me believe in myself and miracles.

When I saw a five-day old lamb running three-legged in the pasture last month, I was worried. A closer inspection indicated that her hind leg was broken.

I remembered a story that a dear friend told me years ago. She'd had a goose that broke its leg. Using Popsicle sticks and duct tape, she concocted a splint. Within weeks, the leg was healed and the goose went on to honk and harass for many more years.

Would that work with a five-day old lamb?

I had to give it a try. Using Popsicle sticks, cotton bandages and Vet-wrap, I splinted the lamb's hind leg. Then I waited and waited, hoped and wondered.

By week three, the lamb was running around the stall, ready to get out and explore the world.

I took off the splint and watched as the lamb took some tentative steps. By the next day, she was walking on it. A day later, she was ready to run with the other lambs.

I watch in amazement -- that the leg healed so quickly and that attempt at splinting worked.

PHOTO: The ewe lamb with the healed leg is shown with her mother. She ate well during her stall rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment