Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Standing in the Country Line on Election Day

I've been voting at the village fire station for 14 years now -- long enough to know that when the line divides, I turn right.

I didn't know that my first election there, and a gray-haired lady asked, "Country or City?"

The firehouse houses two voting precincts -- one for half of the village of 2,000 people and one for the western, sparsely populated half of a township.

Standing in line on the country side this morning, I realized that I was the youngest one there.

"Have you had a change of residence?" the poll worker asked the man in front of me.

"Nope," he said. "I've lived there for 38 years."

Glancing at the four grey heads at the voting booths, I wagered that they would say something similar.

As I waited, I wondered if the abundance of grey hair just proved that older people vote more than the younger generations-- or, if there just aren't very many younger people opting to live in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment