Sunday, August 29, 2010

The County Fair: The Draft Horse Show

I fell in love at the county fair. It was six years ago, and I was horse shopping, and I couldn't take my eyes off those golden ponies with the white manes and tails. A lot has happened in those six years. I now have one of those golden girls, and our two older horses are deceased. And, so I'm shopping again. My husband and I attended the Friday evening draft horse and pony show at the fair. The evening was all hitch classes -- single drafts and ponies pulling carts, teams of two, then four, then six, and even a team of eight ponies. The crowds were still as plentiful as they were six years ago. The number of exhibitors, though, had dropped to half. It's still a respectable number, but where 15 entries would be in the single cart class, there were seven. To show in these classes takes a lot of time -- and money -- and people helping out. Not only are people transporting four or six horses to the show, they're also bringing carts and wagons. Many use semi-tractor trailers to haul the horses and equipment. But, the crowds really do appreciate it. They clapped, not just for the first place winners but for the group, and others placing as well. As for me, I remembered again why I love those golden ponies. Let the shopping resume.

No comments:

Post a Comment