Thursday, August 23, 2012

Sounds of Late Summer

The insects and heavy fowl are the stars of the August summer orchestra.

The song birds have stepped aside. Now the bird song consists of the geese honking overhead, the roosters and chickens chasing moths and flies, the owls hooting in the darkness.

The birds are no match for the undulating hum of cicadas. When the cicadas trill, they overwhelm other farm sounds, even, at times, human voices.

But when the cicadas rest at night, the chirping crickets carry the summer tunes. When the cicadas rest during the day, I notice another buzzing coming from the elm tree in the yard.Upon closer inspection, I see honey bees are swarming around it.

I don't know why they're there.

Even after 14-plus years on the farm, I find myself in a state of wonder.



No comments:

Post a Comment