Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Skiing in Ohio

When I say I went cross-country skiing, people usually respond with, "Isn't that a lot of work?"

"Not as much as downhill skiing," I say.

I don't have to worry about ski rental, or what I'm wearing, or driving to a ski slope. I just put on my boots, walk outside and snap on the skis.

Wearing my barn coat, hat, and jeans, I make my way around the hay fields, and sometimes venture to the woods.


Of course, the one downside is that the trails aren't groomed.

I ran into some hefty drifts this week, and said, "Cool, moguls."

Except it wasn't cool working through them.

But I did.

And for my troubles, I saw a few squirrels playing among the trees and snow... and saw the red-trails circling overhead and enjoyed the snow and the wind and the quiet of winter.

Happy New Year's!

No comments:

Post a Comment