Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Egg Mystery-Day 1 (and 60 degrees in January)

During the winter months, egg production drops off, but I've never had it stop for more than a few days. So, today my quest was to determine if the hens were laying eggs.

Before laying an egg, a hen will settle into a nest for 15 or 30 minutes or so.

Today, I didn't let the chickens out of the hen house, but I checked in on them every 30 minutes or so.


Never did I see one in a nesting box.

Tomorrow, we will proceed to plan B.


60 Degrees in January
Last year, a sheep farmer told me that he spotted a dandelion during every month of the year.

I can't stop noticing the dandelions.

They didn't take long to bloom once the snow melted this week.

I spent the day cleaning the barn and moving hay, for the freezing weather is supposed to return. The ram was eager to check out the new straw. When grazing is limited, the critters get bored.

The horses would like to have the 20-degree days back. For when the ground is frozen, I let them onto the pastures. These two are built for the cold. They seemed warm today.

No comments:

Post a Comment