Monday, August 26, 2013
What Every Dog Should Know
Cute can only get a dog so far in this world.
I recently received a request to foster a Border collie for an owner who is having surgery, and I was reminded how situations change and how often dog owners must find a permanent or temporary home for their dog.
Before I will consider fostering a dog, it must pass two tests: it must get along with other dogs (because I have a pack) and it must get along with cats (because I have come to realize that cats rule my world).
But then I got to thinking. As a dog owner, what skills should I teach my dog? Below is my list.
1. How to get along with other dogs (and cats).
3. How to settle in a crate.
4. How to walk nicely on leash.
5. How to greet people properly.
6. How to come when called.
7. How to take food gently from my fingers.
Bonus: At least one trick.
What would make your Top 7 list?