Sunday, June 20, 2010

The Country Grapevine

While walking the dogs in the hayfields this morning, I stop to pluck ripe raspberries from plants growing in the fencerows. Rolling the purple berries over my tongue, I savor their juicy, wild flavor. Once home, I go to the garden and pluck cabbage worms from my two brussel sprout and two broccoli plants. How did those cabbage worms find my four plants? I've never planted brussel sprouts, cabbage, or broccoli in the garden. These must be the only four plants in a half-mile radius -- maybe more. Do these pests have some type of network? Radar? I place the worms in a cup and offer them to the hens who show only mild interest in the worms. It is the time of plenty, and the worms are small. I imagine they are waiting for the arrival of the tomato worms, which have no trouble finding my plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment