Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wet Feet

I look at the shoes lined up in the mudroom and think Imelda Marcos.
Except my shoes aren't pretty, pink and polished. No, mine are decorated with dirt and decay. I hate wet feet.
When living on a farm, this becomes a problem, especially on summer mornings when the dew doesn't leave until 9 or 10 o'clock. By that time, I've often gone through two, sometimes three, pairs of tennis shoes.
Don't suggest rubber boots. They're uncomfortable, especially for long hikes through the hay fields. And they make my feet sweat. So then my feet are hot and wet.
So, over the years, I've developed the tennis shoe hierachy. I have my gym shoes -- those are the clean ones that go to the gym. Then I have the tennis shoes to wear out and about. Then come the just-retired gym shoes that are suitable for going to the dusty fairs and festivals.
Finally, I have the barn tennis shoes -- four pairs -- that are stained with grass and dirt from farm chores, grass mowing and gardening. The inside heal lining has worn away, and the laces are frayed. When the soles on the barn shoes separate and flap, they are thrown away.
It's not a perfect system. My feet still get wet. But I most always have a dry pair to change into.

No comments:

Post a Comment