Friday, June 4, 2010

Looking Down

When Caeli goes on hikes, she looks across the horizon for deer, raccoons, sheep, and down for field mice and moles.
Tag does the same. Though he also looks up.
I call it the Rambles legacy.
When Tag was young, Rambles utility-poled a squirrel. After unsuccessfully trying to climb the pole, she decided to stare that squirrel down. When Tag saw the squirrel on top of the utility pole, it opened a whole new world to him. For days afterwards, he walked around looking up, hoping to find squirrels.
As we were walking along the driveway this week, Tag's ears perked. He'd spotted birds roosting on the electric wires.
I, though, find myself looking down these days and making some awesome discoveries.
Strawberries! Yeah, I know I planted them a few years ago and watched them bloom this spring. Yet, it's always a delight to discover that they're ripe, and even more of a delight to pluck off their caps and eat them, warm, from the garden.
Eggs! Yep, we have renegade hens who didn't care for their human accommodations and took up nesting elsewhere. I'd hoped that one would sit on the nest, but that hasn't happened yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment