Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Dinosaur Roars

The Buckeye chicken description always leads to the question: How does anyone know the sound of a dinosaur roar?

No one will dispute that the Buckeyes make a unique sound when distressed. Sometimes I'll go weeks without hearing the dinosaur roar.

I've heard it twice this week.

The first happened when the rooster flew over one too many fences and ended up in the yard at nightfall.

Caeli the Border Collie attempted to herd him back to his shed. He'd have none of it and ran in circles. Caeli, as Border Collies are prone to do, upped the ante and grabbed a mouthful of feathers.

I sounded like a squawking hen as I went after Caeli. After securing her, I picked up the rooster and heard his distressed roar.

It carried over the dark fields and up into the starry night.

He settled when I placed him with his hens in the henhouse.

Today, a hen sitting on her nest gave the dinosaur roar when I reached under her to grab eggs.

The noise sounded like it came from a half-ton beast -- not a seven-pound bird.

Do my chickens roar like dinosaurs? I believe so. No one has proven otherwise.

2 comments:

  1. I learned something new about Buckeye chickens! Didn't know they roared like dinosaurs, oh dear, you have quite an interesting population of critters. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are some of the sheep mottled with red? Not a chicken question, but why is that?

    ReplyDelete