Thursday, April 28, 2011

Lily and the Grazing Muzzle

My friend calls Lily the Dyson of the Haflingers.

I can toss her a flake of hay, feed the other critters, and go back to her stall and find no evidence of hay. She eats that fast.

Because of that, she's always had limited pasture time. But then, I always feel bad that she spends 20 hours a day in the paddock.

To change that, I bought grazing muzzles for the Haflingers this year.

There is a small hole in the bottom of the muzzle where the horse can get grass. They just can get giant mouthfuls of grass. In other words, it allows them to graze -- rather than vaccuum the pasture.

When the horses returned home this week, I put the muzzle on Lily and took her to the pasture.

She shook her head. How would she be able to eat?

It took her three minutes to figure it out.

Pictured are Lily (with the muzzle) and Jet.

1 comment: