Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Smart or Stupid?

When the ewes saw that I was opening the gate to the prime pasture, they came running.

But the puddles made them stop.

Water from the recent heavy rains still stood in the low-lying area between the barn and the good pasture.

I knew the ground wasn't boggy and the water wasn't deep, no higher than my ankles. But the sheep weren't going through it.

Sighing, I walked through the area. Seeing it was safe, they followed single file.

Later in the evening, they returned on their own, without me to guide them.

2 comments:

  1. They just needed a leader! Hooray! Funny that they followed in single file, sheep are funny, I have never really understood them, your sharing is enlightening. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first thing I learned about sheep is that sheep and lambs act differently. The older sheep are so much more predictable and less flighty.

    The other is that they are big-time prey animals. They have so few defenses against predators.

    The final thing is that they remember faces and experiences.

    I've grown rather found of them... Well, except for the ram.

    ReplyDelete