Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Lowly Lamb

I was pleased this week to find two articles about lamb in the New York Times.

The first focuses on one of the few certified organic flocks in the United States.

Lamb -- unlike beef, pork and chicken -- hasn't been taken over by agribusiness. Most sheep are still raised on pasture and finished on pasture too.  Most are raised by family farmers.

This meansit takes a little more work to find American lamb in the grocery stores. In my post-college days, I remember being delighted in finding lamb chops in the meat department at the local IGA. It was in late August, after the county fair. After that, I didn't see it in the meat case for months.

Now that we're raising lamb, we're eating it more often, and I'm always on the lookout for recipes.

I'm looking forward to trying one of these leg of lamb recipes this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment