Monday, April 4, 2011

Double Yolks

I remember my early childhood days on a farm as a series of magical discoveries.

The double yolk day came when I cracked open an egg and saw two yolks fall out. As a seven-year-old, I don't recall noticing that the egg looked larger than the others. I bet it was.

After seeing my first double yolker, I paid closer attention to egg sizes and shapes. Sometimes our hens lay eggs that are almost double the size of an average egg. Sometimes, it's just a bigger than average egg. Most often, it's an egg with two yolks.

If I have one of these eggs, I try to include it in eggs that we sell to families with children. Because, I believe, they too should experience the magical moment of discovering a double yolk egg.

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to experience this but I keep hoping one of those big eggs Erik's chickens are laying will surprise us. Right now we just carton up the eggs for friends so we reuse store-bought cartons. I have noticed that the weight of our dozen eggs always exceeds what was in the carton originally. Just another plus for home-grown eggs! How cool that you are raising Buckeyes!

    ReplyDelete