Monday, April 11, 2011

Spring Cleaning


When the spring cleaning bug hit this weekend, I headed to the barn.

After a long winter, the two Haflingers needed more than the standard five-minute pre-ride grooming.

I curried their necks and bodies twice, removing all of the dead winter hair that would let go. Using the soft curry comb, I rubbed their faces and legs. By the time I moved onto the body brush, there was enough hair on the floor to line an ostrich nest or two.

But I wasn't finished.

I trimmed the long facial hair, ear tufts, bridle paths, legs and tails.

Then I tackled the big job -- the Barbie manes. Both mares have manes so thick that they fall on both sides of their necks.

Over winter, the new growth mats and tangles if not picked out. My fingers appreciated the warm air as I untangled manes.

The mares alternated between enjoying it and finding it annoying.

"It's hard to be a princess," I told Lily.

She shook her head, anxious to go outside and roll.

In the photo, Lily shows off her Barbie mane.

No comments:

Post a Comment